Every person in this world has their way of being, be it looking at the world, behavior, way of perceiving things or emotions, every person is different in their way.
Personality refers to individual differences in the characteristic way of thinking, feeling, and behaving, which makes a person unique.
In other words, how a person behaves daily, makes up their persona. It gets shaped early in the childhood days, depending upon the factors such as the environment the person has grown up in, genetic factors, situations and circumstances, family background, financial conditions, etc. One can also start grooming themselves for shaping up their persona in their adulthood. It is self-expression and is a reflection of the inner mind. Having a good nature has its perks, it enables one to have a satisfying existence, better and healthy relationships, socialize better, and live a life to one’s own accord. And hence, it is important to develop a persona so that one can stand apart from the rest.
The process of developing and enhancing one’s personality is termed personality development(PD).
IMPORTANCE OF PERSONALITY DEVELOPMENT
Having a great overall persona is beneficial for an individual’s being. Be it a conversation or an interview, some traits mark an impression on the group. Only having the skills and requirements isn’t all for having a successful path or career. Having a good persona is important when it comes to the age of economic revolution and competition. And hence, developing one’s persona right from the start can help to improve ahead in life. PD also plays an essential role in improving communication skills and focus to be a better listener as well. It brings up a confident individual who is appreciated and respected everywhere.
Benefits of personality development
- Boosts confidence: Having a great persona overall boosts one’s confidence. It makes them less anxious, helps in conducting themselves better, and knows what to say at the right time. Being on command and confident enough makes the task and situation easy and the best of performance is brought out. And an easy task, hence, makes anxiety wear away and makes one fearless and hence spark error-free and fumble-free conversations.
- Develops a positive attitude: A person always looks towards the brighter side when they have a bright and positive attitude. Rather than criticizing and degrading and bossing everyone around, having a positive attitude makes one analyze the situation and then find a solution for the problem caused.
- Presentable: Not only does PD helps in the inner development of a person, but it also teaches how to look credible and presentable, which is equally important.
- Good personality: PD is a crucial ingredient for success that must be obtained to be successful further. Having a healthy body and adopting good habits help nurturing inner strength.
Some points include-
- Being healthy
- Presentable and smart looks
- Speaking style
- Having a balance in life
- Better management
- An appreciable body language
- Being enthusiastic
- Accepting mistakes
- Being kind, honest, and appreciative
- Being a better listener
Importance of personality development in a student’s life
Students should develop an impressive and outgoing persona that enhances their quality of learning. Considering school as their second home, a major part of a student’s being is groomed and shaped in the school itself. But most schools in India don’t stress much on PD. An impressive persona not only helps a student in their professional life but also helps them socially. Development begins in early childhood and hence, teachers should play a major role in teaching life skills to students.
Sessions on PD help teach individuals to deal with stress maturely because there is no point crying over spilled milk. It teaches how to fight at tough times and look at the brighter side. It helps make one’s mindset filled with positivity and to believe that every problem has a solution and nothing is impossible. It makes one flexible and helps develop a broad and open mindset.
Having appreciable communication skills not only helps in an individual’s professional life but also socially. Effective communication skills strengthen the bond among individuals, improve interpersonal relations, and helps one express themselves most convincingly. Persona gets reflected in one’s behavior and a pleasing nature is respected, liked, and appreciated by all. One needs to know what they are speaking, so careful selection of words and speaking at the right time plays an important role in communication.
Tips to improve communication
- Be straightforward, simple, and to the point.
- Take time to respond. Understand, ponder, and make a little draft and format in mind, then speak.
- Engage the audience. Listener
- Maintain eye contact
- Respect the listener/ audience
- Develop listening skills
- Have an appreciable body language, be active
- Be honest
- Catch the right timing
PERSONALITY DEVELOPMENT TIPS
- Be soft-spoken
- Be positive
- Dress sensibly and presentably
- Be kind
- Help others
- Be a patient listener
- Be confident
- Practice gratitude
- Don’t compare
- Stay focussed
- Practice affirmations
- Get out of your comfort zone
- Don’t fear failure
- Don’t give up, give efforts and be consistent
Individuals are categorized as:
- Extraversion (E) or Introversion (I)
- Sensing (S) or Intuition (N)
- Thinking (T) or Feeling (F)
- Judging (J) or Perceiving (P)
These four categories then are combined into 16 unique personality types which are recognized by Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI).
SOME PERSONAL VALUES AT WORK
- Power – ability to influence others and the world
- Achievement – something done successfully with effort, skill, or courage.
- Hedonism- prioritizing of pleasure over other life values and is independent of well being
- Stimulation- enthusiastic and full of ideas
- Self-direction- readiness for learning scale and self-determination